I love the holiday season and in particular all things Thanksgiving. Several years ago we started a tradition in our home of posting a large sheet of paper on one of our inside doors and beginning November 1st, we each take a moment (most days) to write what we are thankful for. The list really varies each year but I enjoy reading what my family writes. Nantucket S.T.A.R. has had a wonderful year and we will be celebrating our 15th anniversary in 2018. We have titled our 15th year of celebration “We’re Going Places”. One of our students, Ian Cutone, has taken on the task of helping to fundraise over this next year for S.T.A.R. to raise money for one of his dreams, a 12 passenger van. At our November board meeting Ian shared his power point presentation of why S.T.A.R. needs a van. It was most impressive! So- be on the look out for our annual appeal which has a special van request featuring Ian!
In honor of 15 years of S.T.A.R. and Thanksgiving, here are my 15 reasons of why I am so thankful for Nantucket S.T.A.R..
- The amazing children and teens we have the privilege of working with. They bring all of us incredible joy!
- Our S.T.A.R. families, for believing in us and for trusting us with their children.
- Our talented staff and volunteers. Their passion and dedication is what makes S.T.A.R. shine.
- Our Board of Directors who support and work tirelessly at helping Nantucket S.T.A.R. be its best self.
- Our grant donors, Boston Bruins Foundation, Community Foundation for Nantucket, Nantucket Golf Club, James and Amy Bennet Foundation and ReMain Fund.
- Our business sponsors- check out our website, what a generous crew they are.
- Our community partners who partner with us to make our programming happen: Nantucket Community Pool, Nantucket Ice Rink, Artist Association, Nantucket Community School, Nantucket Cycling and Fitness Center, Nantucket Culinary Center, Nantucket Community Sailing, and Summer Street Church
- All of our donors, who are to numerous to write all here. Thank you Nantucket!
- Sophie T’s pizza who keep us supplied with pizza for our respite events.
- Our new office computer thanks to a generous donation from Nantucket Energy.
- Poets Corner Press for storing all of our equipment.
- A huge thank you to all of our high school volunteers. They are an amazing bunch.
- Thank you to Kathi Hackett of MVCS, for her support and passion for the children and families on Nantucket.
- Our beautiful S.T.A.R. office at 130 Old South Road.
- Last, but not least, thank you to my wild Steadman crew. Thank you for always being willing to lend a hand and for loving all things S.T.A.R.